Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Coconut Shrimp


I love coconut shrimp. I don't make this very often because I am not fond of deep frying, and because of my anxiety in going to the store to buy a can of beer. I have used Oduls nonalcoholic beer before. It worked okay. We like to dip these in a variety of sauces. This time I used honey and Dijon mustard mixed together with a little fresh squeezed orange juice. We also had raspberry jam with a little almond extract in it. I liked to dip mine in pina colada yogurt mixed with some coconut and pineapple tidbits. In the past I have used orange marmalade with mustard.
Recipe
1 egg                      ¼ cup flour
½ cup flour            2 cups flaked coconut
2/3 cup beer            24 shrimp (Use the jumbo shrimp or the grill ready shrimp)
1-1/2 tsp baking powder    3 cups oil for frying

In a medium bowl combine egg, ½ cup flour, beer and baking powder.
Place ¼ cup flour and coconut in two separate bowls.
Hold shrimp by tail and dredge in flour, shaking off the excess flour. Dip in egg/beer batter; allow excess to drip off. Roll shrimp in coconut, and place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, heat oil to 350 degrees in a deep fryer.
Fry shrimp in batches. Cook, turning once, for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Using tongs, remove shrimp to paper towels to drain. Serve warm with dipping sauces.

2 comments:

  1. Oh i love love love this recipe. Wish I had been there for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You try some of the most amazing recipes. I've never heard of let alone tried coconut shrimp. I guess I'll have to now.

    ReplyDelete