Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Chocolate Raspberry Cake

This is seriously the most delicious chocolate cake I have ever had.  The frosting is soooooo yummy.  I could eat it by the spoonful, if I didn't mind gaining 10 pounds.  I saw this recipe in "Country Living" magazine last year.  I made a few adjustments by using a devils food cake mix instead of the recipe they had for dark chocolate cake, and I halved the raspberry filling recipe.

Just use 2 round cake pans for your devils food cake batter.  Follow the directions on the box.

I froze the cakes so they would be easier to frost.  Cut the top off one cake to make it flat.  Put the raspberry frosting on that flat layer. 

1/2 cup softened butter, 1/3 cup raspberry jam, 3/4 cup confectioners sugar

Top it with the other cake. Frost with the Chocolate Butter Cream Frosting. It can be topped with fresh raspberries or thawed frozen raspberries.

(mixing the butter melted chocolate mixture with marshmallow cream)
Chocolate Buttercream
Using a mixer set on medium-high speed beat:
1 cup butter 
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate melted and slightly cooled bittersweet chocolate (I used 5 ounces Hersheys Dark Chocolate chips and half a square of unsweetened chocolate because I did not have any bittersweet chocolate in the pantry. It worked out great!  You can melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds and stir, then melt again if needed).
Beat chocolate and butter until fluffy.
Reduce speed to medium and beat in 2 cups marshmallow cream.
Add 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and 6 Tablespoons powdered sugar and increase speed to medium-high and beat.  Scrape down sides of the bowl.  Chill for 20 minutes before using. 

No comments:

Post a Comment