Sunday, January 24, 2010

Ebleskivers




I love these little round Danish pancakes. I found out about these when I married Phil. I loved it when his mom would make these for breakfast. Now that we live so close to her we don't eat breakfast together very often. I found an Ebleskiver pan at Kitchen Kneads. I am sure they are at other stores too.
I love freezer jam on these (peach, raspberry, strawberry, or blackberry). We sprinkle powdered sugar over them. My kids love them!
STANDARD EBLESKIVER RECIPE
4 eggs, separated
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
3 tsp. sugar
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups milk
½ tsp. salt
Beat the egg whites. In a separate medium bowl, beat egg yolks until light in color then stir in sugar. Stir together remaining dry ingredients. Add to egg mixture, alternately with milk. Mix in oil. Fold beaten egg whites into batter.
Melt ¼ to ½ teaspoon of butter in each cup over medium heat. Put about ¼ cup batter in each cup. Cook until edges appear golden brown and center is bubbly. While bubbly, turn each ebleskiver with a fork. Continue baking. It may be necessary to turn ebleskiver over a few times during the baking to prevent over-browning.
Serve warm with favorite toppings. Cinnamon sugar and butter would be good too or any syrup.

1 comment:

  1. I love these too. It's our Christmas morning brunch food. I have a recipe from Bart's dad for them that has buttermilk in it. Very good. He got the recipe while serving his mission in Holland. If you ever want it let me know.

    ReplyDelete