The last few weeks have been full. Full of good and some bad, some happy some sad. On July 23, one of my visiting teaching ladies passed away. She was so down to earth and accepting of everyone. I will really miss visiting her. On July 24th Karen and I went down to Centerville to see our grandma Helen. She passed away a little over an hour after we left. I am so glad we got to say our goodbyes. She was a special grandma. She had suffered for a long time, so I am happy for her that she can be released from the pain of her earthly body. I still get teary eyed when I think about her and how much she has endured. She has been a strength and example to her family. I am grateful to be a part of that wonderful family. My aunts and uncles and cousins are all wonderful, fun, kind people. It was so nice to be with them the night of the viewing and the day of the funeral.
Phil and Josh went on the High Adventure Camp to the Tetons. They had a good time, but Phil said it was a difficult hike for him. He worked there when he was a teenager. It is not easy to admit it is harder to do those hikes now. Maybe it was especially hard because he had just recieved a Typhoid vaccination the day before he left. That stuff makes you feel sick anyway.
Jenicca went to girls camp that weekend too. She had a great time. All the girls in our ward went this year. That was exciting for the Young Women leaders to have every single girl there. Phil came back from the Tetons and went directly to girls camp for one night. He and Jenicca left early in the morning Saturday so they could make it to Grandma's funeral. Some speed limits had to be broken to make it in time. EEK.
We went to church on Sunday, took Josh back up to scout camp to work for the week, left scout camp and headed to Salt Lake. Phil left on Monday morning to go to India for 2-1/2 weeks. After 26 hours of traveling, I received an instant message from him that he made it. He says the country is too shocking. He is in a different place than he was last time. It is more on the outskirts of the city. There are more people living on the streets and lots of dogs. He could see a pack of dogs outside his window. He counted 25. Since I have an unnatural fear of dogs, I am affraid it would be my demise if I saw that many dogs all at once coming at me. There are people living under tarps, dirty children without much clothing, and is seems more dangerous. It is a humbling experience and makes one grateful for all the little things we take for granted like clean water, bathrooms, washers and dryers, ice, food, etc. This Sunday he is hoping to go to the branch he visited the last 2 times he was there. Hopefully he can find a cab driver that can understand where he needs to be.
I took Jenicca, Jarom, and Juliana to the county fair yesterday. We had fun looking at the animals and the home arts.
Phil and Josh went on the High Adventure Camp to the Tetons. They had a good time, but Phil said it was a difficult hike for him. He worked there when he was a teenager. It is not easy to admit it is harder to do those hikes now. Maybe it was especially hard because he had just recieved a Typhoid vaccination the day before he left. That stuff makes you feel sick anyway.
Jenicca went to girls camp that weekend too. She had a great time. All the girls in our ward went this year. That was exciting for the Young Women leaders to have every single girl there. Phil came back from the Tetons and went directly to girls camp for one night. He and Jenicca left early in the morning Saturday so they could make it to Grandma's funeral. Some speed limits had to be broken to make it in time. EEK.
We went to church on Sunday, took Josh back up to scout camp to work for the week, left scout camp and headed to Salt Lake. Phil left on Monday morning to go to India for 2-1/2 weeks. After 26 hours of traveling, I received an instant message from him that he made it. He says the country is too shocking. He is in a different place than he was last time. It is more on the outskirts of the city. There are more people living on the streets and lots of dogs. He could see a pack of dogs outside his window. He counted 25. Since I have an unnatural fear of dogs, I am affraid it would be my demise if I saw that many dogs all at once coming at me. There are people living under tarps, dirty children without much clothing, and is seems more dangerous. It is a humbling experience and makes one grateful for all the little things we take for granted like clean water, bathrooms, washers and dryers, ice, food, etc. This Sunday he is hoping to go to the branch he visited the last 2 times he was there. Hopefully he can find a cab driver that can understand where he needs to be.
I took Jenicca, Jarom, and Juliana to the county fair yesterday. We had fun looking at the animals and the home arts.
Boy life gets busy when you have a house full of busy people. Hopefully it will slow down a little when school starts.
ReplyDeleteI don't think I would feel very comfortable with that many dogs either. 1 or 2 I can handle, but more than that YIKES!!
I am glad to hear that Phil arrived in India safely. I hope all goes well on his trip. Hope that you and the kids are getting along ok, too. I will check with you by phone soon. I imagine you are still as busy as ever getting ready for school to start. Remember that we are here if we can be of any help while Phil is out of the country.
ReplyDeleteJim is gone a lot, but I'm thankful that it isn't in India! I would be a litter nervous having my husband in a place like that.
ReplyDeleteI am sorry for you but happy for your Grandma Helen. I was able to go with your mother one day to care for her. It was beautiful to see how sweetly your mother cared for her, but sad to see her in that state.
Kristen,
ReplyDeleteI have decided to go private to protect my family from exploitation, etc. I don't have a current e-mail for you. Could you send it to me atopham@sisna.com
Thanks, and I will invite you to view it.